Wednesday, July 4, 2012

South Dakota Rocks

I've had a few friends tell me that there is lots of stuff to do in SD. Boy were they ever right! We took a short family vacay and had a terrific time! We were only there for a few days but we could have stayed a couple of weeks and would not have had enough time to see and do it all.

We had to see Sturgis. My husband loved this motorcycle museum.

 Saw these buffalo at Custer State park.

The Crazy Horse Memorial-WOW! Amazing project!

Mount Rushmore National Memorial-very impressive.

Although the bear population in the Black Hills of SD were wiped out there is a drive-through wildlife park where they (as well as many other cool species) are thriving.

Another interest of my husband...planes. My cousin, who is retired from the Air Force, told me that many bases across the country have compiled planes of historical significance to that base and now have them on display, so of course we had to check out Ellsworth AF Base.

The Reptile Gardens was a huge attraction-I stayed away from the snake and prairie dog exhibits-we have enough of those at home. lol

We finished off our trip with a  ride on a restored steam locomotive. Very fun!
There was some glo in the dark mini golf, panning for gold, maze racing and cave exploration. No wonder I'm tired. Sure that's it...my age has nothing to do with it. I'm sticking to that story. lol

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fab trip Mary Jo, and seeing that iconic sculpture must have been a special moment. Glad you stayed away from that alligator, he looks grumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a fab trip Mary Jo, and seeing that iconic sculpture must have been a special moment. Glad you stayed away from that alligator, he looks grumpy!

    ReplyDelete